Accés al contingut Accés al menú de la secció
Home  > FAQ's

What does the Serra Húnter Programme (SHP) selection process involve?

The Serra Húnter Programme selection process is an international faculty selection process divided into two parts. The first part is the international announcement and the second part is the selection process. The aim of the first part is to publicise and advertise the contracts being offered by universities. In this part, the SHP processes applications for Catalan University Quality Assurance Agency (AQU Catalunya) accreditation for those candidates who do not have the required accreditation for the second part. The second part is the competitive selection process. This starts with the official call for applications and the publication in the Official Gazette of the Government of Catalonia (DOGC) of the university contracts on offer.


How many calls for applications are there each year?

Two calls for applications are planned each year, preferably in January and June. The programme has been extended to 2020.


Are the same number and type of contracts always offered with each call?

No, the offer of contracts, either for tenure-eligible lecturers, associate professors, full professors or tenure-eligible professors, depends on the needs of each university at the time of publishing its public offer, as agreed by the Inter-university Council of Catalonia.


How long can the SHP selection process last?

Once the established period for receiving candidate applications has closed, the first step of the process (international announcement) can last up to 6 months, during this time AQU Catalunya carries out assessments for accreditations. Te second step of the process starts once offers are formally published by the universities in the Official Gazette of the Government of Catalonia (DOGC), it can last six months more.


Do I have to send my accreditation application in person via the AQU Catalunya website?

If you have authorised the SHP to process your details to AQU Catalunya, you will not have to submit your application via its website, the SHP will do so on your behalf


What does AQU Catalunya accreditation require?

AQU Catalunya is an independent agency. Obtaining relevant AQU Catalunya accreditation depends on the result of the assessment by its assessment committees. The SHP processes the accreditation application but the result and possible appeals by applicants do not depend on the programme.

Consult the AQU Catalunya website for the criteria for obtaining a favourable report for tenure-elegible lecturers, research accreditation for associate professors and advanced research accreditation for full professors.

If you have certificates of teaching, doctoral thesis supervision, research stays or other merits, we recommend attaching these to your application for its consideration in the evaluation.


Do I have to present my CV in AQU Catalunya format?

There is no compulsory CV format but if you do not have the AQU Catalunya accreditation, we recommend you to submit your CV in AQU Catalunya format in order to ensure a correct assessment.

If AQU Catalunya accreditation is not held and you opt to submit your CV in free format, it will be necessary to provide quality indicators related to your publications. Specifically, you must provide the Journal Citation Reports (JCR) impact factor corresponding to the year of publication. If this information is not available because it is not up-to-date, please provide the most recently updated JCR data. Alternatively, you can provide other information accrediting the quality of the publication (AHCI, ERIH classification, CARHUS, INRECS, etc.) or the number of citations. Please check the AQU Catalunya CV format model (available in the Required documentation section) for further information.

It is very important that you also provide detailed information on any teaching experience as well as participation in research projects. If you have certificates of teaching, doctoral thesis supervision, research stays or other merits, we recommend attaching these to your application for its consideration.


Can I apply if I only have ANECA accreditation?

Yes, for tenure-eligible lecturer contracts you ought to provide accreditation as an assistant doctoral lecturer (ayudante doctor), and for associate professor contracts you ought to provide accreditation as a contracted doctoral lecturer (contratado doctor). However, if you are the winning candidate and become hired but you only have ANECA accreditation, the SHP will not be able to fund half the cost of your university contract. But, if you submit your application in the international announcement part, the SHP can apply for your AQU Catalunya accreditation on your behalf.


If I already have the required accreditation, do I have to provide a copy of the document?

If you already have the required AQU Catalunya accreditation, you do not need to present a copy of the document. By presenting the application through PLASH, candidates authorise the SHP to check the details and obtain the necessary certificates to complete the application, in this case from AQU Catalunya. Candidates can oppose this data consultation through a general request to the Secretariat for Universities and Research (


If I have AQU Catalunya research accreditation can I use it for offers for tenure-eligible lecturers?

No, research accreditation for associate professors is not valid for a tenure-eligible lecturer, as different aspects of academic activity are assessed.


How many offers can I apply for?

You can apply for as many offers as you like.


Do I have to submit an application for each offer I am interested in?

Yes, through the PLASH portal you can register as an applicant, after that you have to complete one application for each offer you wish to apply for.


Can I change the documentation depending on the offer?

Yes, when you register as an applicant you will be able to upload as many documents to your applicant folder as you want. Then, when you create the applications, you can attach whichever documents you wish to in each of them.


When do I have to present the documentation for the second step of the process?

The documentation for the second step of the process can be submitted and updated at any time via the PLASH portal. It is obligatory when the university opens the candidate application submission process (when the call for applications is published in the Official Gazette of the Government of Catalonia (DOGC)).


In what language do I have to present my application and the required documents?

The application or applications and documents you provide can be submitted in Catalan, Spanish and English. However, given that some members of the selection committees are foreigners and do not understand Catalan or Spanish, we recommend sending the documentation in English. If a translation is necessary, it will be requested.


Can I submit my application in one language and the documentation in another?

Yes, provided it is Catalan, Spanish or English.


How can I find out if my application as a candidate has been submitted correctly?

You will see that it has been submitted correctly when in the application status information in the front page of PLASH platform it appears as ‘undergoing assessment’.


I want to update my original documents for the second step. Can I do it?

Yes, presented documents can be updated up to the deadline for submitting candidate applications for the formal selection process (second step). You can do this via the PLASH platform or by sending an email with the documents attached to


I want to withdraw my candidature from the Serra Húnter selection process. How can I do this?

By email to


If I am accredited, do I have to apply in the international announcement phase?

In this case, it is not necessary. However, if there are no applications for an offer, the university calling for applications may decide not to officially publish the call for applications because no one is interested.

Submitting an application in the international announcement phase means you will be informed by the SPH of the number of total applications submitted, on how the process is progressing and when the official call for applications is published by the university in the Official Gazette of the Government of Catalonia (DOGC).


Do I have to pay a fee to take part in the selection process?

No fees have to be paid in the international announcement phase. In the selection process, which depends on the universities, you might have to pay a fee for the right of admission to the process. This fee will be established under the rules and regulations of the process that each university publishes along with the official call for applications.


Will all accredited candidates proceed to the oral presentation in the second step of the process?

No, first the candidates must be admitted to the university selection process and then pass the first phase consisting in the documentation assessment by the selection committee, after that a list of candidates selected for the oral presentation and interview will be published.


In what language do I have to give the oral presentation?

Given that all the selection committees include foreign professors, the oral presentation will be preferably in English. However, if everyone on the committee understands Catalan or Spanish, these languages may be used, or even another language when justified by the offer profile.


Do I have to speak Catalan to be a Serra Húnter lecturer?

Faculty staff at Catalan public universities are required by regulations to accredit adequate knowledge of Catalan, although this is not a requirement that candidates have to meet when submitting their applications, as it may be acquired afterwards. In accordance with Decree 128/2010, of 14 September, on the accreditation of language proficiency for faculty in the Catalan university system, employees must have sufficient knowledge of Catalan at the date on which the contract is signed or must obtain such accreditation within two years from the date they start at the University.


Do I have to teach if I am a Serra Húnter lecturer/professor?

Serra Húnter profiles are for teaching and research staff assigned to a department, which therefore involves teaching obligations. The teaching work will correspond to that given by the department (see the department website). The number of teaching hours assigned to Serra Húnter faculty members will be determined by each university, considering the calculations for maximum teaching hours.


If I am a Serra Húnter tenure-eligible lecturer, how is my assessment conducted?

The assessment of Serra Húnter tenure-eligible lecturers will be as agreed by SHP management and the universities in the Academic Staff Committee of the Inter-university Council of Catalonia.

SHP will issue a certificate in proof of having successfully passed the assessment if the lecturer obtains accreditation for research (to access associate professor contracts) or for advanced research (to access full professor contracts) with a minimum score of 60 out of 100 and also if the selection committee that chose the candidate as eligible for tenure agrees on his or her tenure. Lecturers can request that the SHP assess them for tenure at any time.

At their turn, universities will assess their lecturers in accordance with their established procedures.


If I am a Serra Húnter tenure-eligible lecturer, do I have to apply for another selection process to obtain tenure?

In accordance with current legislation, candidates must pass a public selection procedure to be hired by a public university. The university agrees to hold a selection process for a tenured associate professor with the same profile as the tenure-eligible lecturer if the lecturer has passed the corresponding assessment.


Where can I find the salary and hiring conditions for Serra Húnter lecturers?

Law 1/2003, of 9 February, governing Catalan universities, is applicable in this case, specifically articles 71 et seq. establishing the remuneration of teaching and research staff. The 1st Collective Bargaining Agreement of Teaching and Research Staff of the Catalan Public Universities (agreement code 7902502), specifically article 22 et seq, is also applicable on that regard.

Furthermore, Law 5/2012, of 20 March, on fiscal, financial and administrative measures and the creation of a tax on stays at tourism establishments, in section 2 of the 17th additional provision, states that financial remuneration may be established, with prior government agreement, by way of incentives for lecturers with SHP contracts. However, this provision has not yet been developed, hence such incentives are not yet applicable.


What salary am I entitled to and what employment rights do I have?

The starting salary for a tenure-eligible lecturer in 2017 is 32,273.42 euros a year, before taxes; the starting salary for an associate professor in 2017 is 35,612.36 euros a year, before taxes; the starting salary for a full professor in 2017 is 43,402.30 euros a year, before taxes. At the end of one's academic career, an associate professor or full professor can have doubled their starting salary if they receive positive assessments in all the five-year teaching period and six-year research period merit evaluations. Furthermore, a lecturer can receive additional income from technology-transfer contracts or for specific commissions (Article 83 of the Law on Universities (LOU)).

The base salary is divided into 12 monthly payments, with two extraordinary payments, one in June and the other in December. Different salary supplements may also be received: for the functions of certain academic posts or management responsibilities while they are exercised; for seniority; for teaching or research merits (both requiring prior assessment). In the future, Serra Húnter lecturers may receive financial incentives, but this is pending development by the Government of Catalonia.

Lecturers will be provided with Social Security coverage and will be contributing for their retirement pension and unemployment pension. They will have 31 calendar days’ holiday on non-teaching days, preferably in August, and paid leave on non-teaching days during the Christmas and Easter periods. Paid leave of varying lengths will also be given for marriage; birth of, adoption or fostering a child; for breastfeeding; for deaths in the family; for moving home; for sitting final exams in official centres; and others. Unpaid leave with the position guaranteed and time off with or without the position guaranteed can be requested for the reasons and under the conditions established by legislation and the collective bargaining agreement.